Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Genuine

I know this is out of my series and a bit different, but this is just a thought of mine lately.

Anyone who knows me will realize I have an obsession for the truth of things. Authenticity. Genuineness. After you’ve finally warmed me up after hanging out for like about 3 or so months (I’m a bit of an introvert), I will instantly tell you how I honestly think about something and would like to know your honest opinion, nothing more and nothing less.

See for me, with knowing the truth, one has nothing to hide, there are no hidden agendas, no selfish motives, it is but simple truth. And from simple truth is born integrity, honor and character. I can trust in truth because it comes with no surprises. Truth is transparent and genuine. Truth can be painful, but it will always set you free.

I am always seeking the truth in things. Constantly searching. I’ve always been, and at this point, always will. Once I find the truth, I have a need to share it because everyone deserves the truth. I am a rebel and this is my cause.

I came to realize this when I was about ten or eleven. Before I was a hipster and loved all things acoustic and obscure, I was a huge fan of bubblegum pop like every other 10-13 yr old girl.

Now let’s go back about ten years (circa 2001) and look at the music then. Both secular music and Contemporary Christian Music had a lovely group of teen bubblegum pop to select from. My parents were very careful about what lyrics I was singing about (and for which I am very grateful for. Really.), so I listen to mostly to CCM such as…

Plus One (saw them a lot in concert. My favorite was Nate.)
Jaci Velasquez
ZoeGirl
Jump5
Joy Williams (please check out The Civil Wars.)
MaryMary (Shackles anyone???)
Raze
Rachel Lampa
Stacie Orrico
True Vibe

These were my Jams till I was about 12 and I discovered Relient K and Switchfoot. And as much as I would love to ramble about how I still know all the words by heart to Plus One’s Written On My Heart (don’t deny it, I’m sure most of you do too), but I did have a point to this post.

Stacie Orrico. Most of you probably remember having a hit back in 2003, ‘(There’s Gotta Be) More To Life’ which was off of her sophomore album and that was pretty much all you knew.

oh. 2000. lipliner and choker necklaces.
Before that, she had two songs that stuck with me (and still do) off of her first album, ‘Don’t Look at Me’ and ‘Genuine’.
What He has is something genuine
Who He is, is someone real
What He gives is something truthful
Its what He has, its Who he is
Its what He gives
And I need Him too.”

-Genuine
Stacie Orrico

It was this song that made me realize that my hunger for pure and simple truth was really a hunger for God alone.

“Jesus told him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.’”
John 14:6

The only way.
The only truth.
The only life.

We can only cast our eyes toward Jesus, the prize. He is lamp to our feet and the light to our path. When we forget that simple truth, we lose our truth and we get lost. We start wandering into places, following other people down roads we shouldn’t go.

I feel like a lot of us have done exactly that. We get so caught up in the production of Sunday mornings, to make sure we are ‘cool christians’ who are aware of the world, making sure we brand everything in sight, and that we ‘reach’ thousands of people so that we hit this years quota.

With the best of intentions, we’ve somehow lost our way, our truth. Sometimes I wonder what the difference is between ‘the church’ and a non-profit charity.

But I’ll leave you with this.

“Don't look at me if you're looking for perfection
Don't look at me I will only let you down
I'll do my best to point you in the right direction
But don’t look at me
No, no, no
Don't look at me, look at Him…

He's the One who lived a perfect life
He's the One who always gets it right
He's the One and only guiding light, Ohh, yeah
He is everything you want to be
He's the answer to your every need
If you follow Him then you will see He's like no other.”
-Don't Look At Me
Stacie Orrico

I’m 21. I don’t have all the answers.
I’m just a girl who hungrily seeks the Truth.


2 comments:

  1. Nice job Kris. You will find all that you need in God. As he is preparing you for great and better thing to come. In the meantime embrace all that he is showing you and blossom into the great women he is making you into. Love ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...cause I don't want to be
    camoflauge
    what I'm not...

    Okay. WOW. My Plus One memories need to cease NOW! Hahah

    I think you hit this one on the head. I am reminded of one of my favorite quotes by John MacArthur: "Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone."

    We live in a world that obsesses over seeking truth. But I would argue that the world is confusing their search for truth with their misguided placement of hope. They try to find truth in their unfulfilling hope in wealth, people, science, or education. And that hope, their search for truth, becomes their idol, their god.

    For example, I have a friend who is extremely intelligent. His questions and search are philosophical and circular, but often what he tells me is that he is searching for "truth." He is not sure what that "truth" is, but he assures me he is searching. Sadly, he seeks from a humanistic standpoint, relying solely on what is scientifically explained as well as his emotions...regardless of him being raised in a Christian home and knowing where his starting point should be: Christ.

    I see this search, a chasing after the wind of sorts, as perversion of what God intended. And when your hope is misguided, your idea of truth will be corrupt, and subsequently an individuals integrity, genuineness, and authenticity will be contaminated.

    Thus, those who seek truth, will find emptiness; but those who seek God, will find Truth among satisfying fulfillment and life.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...