Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

On Dating...


So, have I told you about who I’ve been seeing lately? We talk every night. He’s a magnificent 
artist and so caring. He thinks about me all the time. He has a really weird sense of humor, 
but I’ve come to love it. It really is different this time with him. He’s always there for me. 
He continues to love me even when I’m at my worst.

The crazy thing is you all know him, or have at least heard about him. Some of you are really good friends with him.

Have you figured it out who he is?

I’m dating God.

Yes. I am fully aware how corny it sounds and how weird it can be taken. But hear me out.

Growing up as a ‘Christian Kid’, I went to youth group, to the retreats, the conferences, the camps. When I was 13, I did the whole True Love Waits ceremony … thing. I even have a promise necklace (that I kept breaking the chain. My parents and I were a bit worried what that could possibly mean…haha) Actually there was a time that my parents convinced me that I was going to have an arranged marriage, but that is another story all together on how my parents have a twisted sense of humor.

Purity, dating (in a negative sense) and ‘saving yourself’ for marriage were main topics as a Christian teen. Every devotional and Christian book written for young adults revolved around these topics. I got to a point that I couldn’t take it anymore. I got it, don’t be stupid when it comes to sex and boys. Plus, I already had it in my mind to just not date in high school. All I had to do was to look at my friends and the drama they were in. For me, that was better than any purity talk.

But there was always one phrase though always stuck with me, “A girl should be so lost in God that a boy must search Him to find her.”

After high school, there’s college. And suddenly I’m meeting a lot of new people, especially dorming at college and attending a new church. It was in those few years, I would learn a lot about people and relationships in general.

During last year, I had an unhealthy friendship with a guy. I think we both always knew, but when I finally was aware of how unhealthy it was (looking back, it was God really tugging at my heart.), I decided that we could not be friends and ended any and all form of communication with him. It was really hard because we talked everyday. Just to add to it all, I realized that I would not be able to attend college in the spring because I wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Coincidentally, my family just happened to get Netflix. I caught up every night on my nerdy B-rated scifi tv shows and was finally able to finish Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

And it was awesome.

But halfway through Buffy, I came to the conclusion that this may not be exactly the best way to deal with things.

It was in early January, the month of new beginnings and making resolutions. I make this resolution every year, but I was going to take it a bit more seriously. I decided to read the Bible in one year, and do a bible study/prayer journal/just spending time with God. I was already in the habit of talking to someone every night. So this time, it stuck.

By February, I jokingly told the small group I was attending at the time that I’ve been ‘rebounding’ on God in trying to explain my relationship and personal time with God.

Early summer, I noticed that I just wasn’t rebounding on God, but I really was dating Him. I have to say, dating God has been really wonderful. It has been a pretty tough year, but I know He’s not going to say “I can’t handle this, I’m leaving” or “Kristen, my feelings have changed…so…bye.” He will always be there. After knowing every thing about me, every detail, every mistake, every lie, every flaw, He still loves me. He’s given me confidence, understanding, strength, and love. He pursued me like none other, and continues to pursue me. All things a good boyfriend should do. Also all those things I heard about purity as a teen started to make a bit more sense to me now too.

After everything, I really never believed in dating for the sake of dating. I ‘date’ with the intention of finding someone I could make a life with. I’m also a huge fan of being friends with someone before you make that decision to be in a romantic relationship. My prayer has been that God will give me neon signs saying that He wants me to be with this person. Even if the relationship doesn’t end up with wedding bells, a white dress and a ring, I pray that it will bring me closer to God or to the person God wants him and I to be, to be a sacred moment.

I also think we should take our time too! Is it just me, or is it like the unwritten rule that if you are 23 and a Christian, you should be married or at least engaged.  I feel like every time I go on facebook, someone somewhere is engaged, or getting married. If you found that person, I am so happy for you and wish you the best, I truly do. But for the others who feel that pressure, we have our whole lives in front of us. Don’t stress about it. Take your time. Really figure out who you are and what complements you best. Focus on God and that person will appear out of nowhere, I’m sure. And when God shows you who that is, don’t let that person slip away.

But for now, I’m going to continue dating God. It’s something I think I will continue to do for the rest of my life. In doing this, I feel like when I’m actually in a relationship with whomever that man is, I’ll have a firm foundation. I want to be so lost in God that whoever my Husband will be has to search Him to find me. That is the type of man I want be with.

I dedicate this to all the Single Ladies (and even single guys too)


8 comments:

  1. that was wonderful to read. but that last line just got Beyonce stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok but on a serious note, sometimes i wish i had met Mark earlier (or that we were the same age b/c dating him earlier meant he would've been REALLY young). i'll be 31 by the time i get married, and i don't wish that for you, but i also wouldn't have it any other way for me. i've grown so much since i was 21, and dating at 30 meant that i knew myself much better and was much more secure in who I was as a WHOLE person in Christ. not that you can't get that at 21 or 25, and some people don't know that at 40 or 50, but basically i'm just saying that i agree with you: time alone with God is never wasted. enjoy this time now and as you become more like him, you'll figure out the type of person you should and can be with later.

    ok. this was long. the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you! If God loves to pursue us...shouldn't the man who confesses his devotion you do the same? Never settle girl, never settle!

    liz decker :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I agree with you 100% about the unwritten rule about being 23 and engaged/married. Being 23 and completely single, I've been wondering, "What ELSE is wrong with me?" Keep doing what you're doing, because you rock at it.
    ~Alyse =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen,
    What a mature and wise woman you have grown up to be. I would like to add something- Not only should he have to go thru God to get to you he should also ask your father before he even asks you out for a cup of coffee. God has given you a wise father and he is your earthly protector. Its amazing the accounts I have heard of a father 'seeing' something that the daughter never could.
    Never change,
    Nancy Tufte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I've been married two years and never really dated God before then. I found myself in a whole lot of trouble because he was not my main focus when the flesh called. If there is one thing I could tell Any woman or man, wait in God...date him and he will make your relationships richer. I love Jake and I know he loves me, God is first in our relationship...and though we are married to each other we still date God individually and as one (if that makes sense). I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristen!

    After years writing about having someone who will take my breath way, someone who would take the ground under me I come humbly to redeem myself. Truly I want someone who would share the ground with me, someone who would give me back the breath. I want to sleep cuddling without any fear. Wake up and see that no matter what happen, everything will be in its place. Without anxiety or roller coasters.

    Relationships are built, day after day. Balancing patience, long silences and long talks.
    It’s funny that when we stop looking for the love of our life’s a love for our life’s appeared. Simple like that!

    It might not be the prince our princess that we all imagined someday, but can be someone who will know how that you love a white French bread with lots of cream cheese in the morning. It might not be someone who would write your name on an air plane and send you million of roses on your birthday, but can be someone who will read your eyes and know how you feel without saying a word.

    So for now, good bye unreal expectations. Good bye teen age dreams of finding the charming prince. Without promises. Without pressure, just living a real, pure and simple love day after day.

    I think that is what I am looking for. A love I can rely on. A love that simply makes me feel complete, makes me feel safe, makes me feel me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am in total agreement and completely in love with what you said dayane!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...